Friday, January 22, 2016

Review: Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup

Hi everybody this is the first review I’ve ever done since its beginning in both languages, it’s going to be a foundation which I had a love-hate relationship, but know I can say I’d think about repurchase it. Is the Clinique’s Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup; I use the shade 19 Sand, which is part of medium shades and has a neutral undertones. Clinique tell us the next description:

“Tested for streaking and fading at 88°F/31ºC with a constant 80% humidity, all to prove Stay-Matte stays fresh. At the same time, this patent-pending formula absorbs shine, controls oil, resists sweat. And you stay matte all day.”


Now we’ll compare what the brand says and my experience.
But first let’s have a rant, 88ºF isn’t most extreme weather I’ve experienced, simply in Veracruz we normally are at the hottest days around 97ºF with a similar level of humidity, so I think they went with a more achievable claim rather than a groundbreaking one. Note:  the last time I was in that kind of weather I could only bother doing my brows and blush, thinking about using more products overwhelmed me; I just wanted not to melt.
Now with the characteristics of the foundation: I’m going to start with the matte finish which it simply just doesn’t exist, the foundation dries to a natural finish that I actually love because you look radiant not greasy. My T-zone is extremely oily and is common that must products will get me oily; in this case with powder I last around two to three hours without looking like a shiny ball.

About lasting power, without primer and powder I can get eight hours of wearing and when it fades it does it evenly. I consider coverage as a buildable medium, one layer will even things out and two layers will cover most imperfections; I haven’t use three because I like to keep it real but I have use it also as a light concealer.
My main problem with this foundation is the shade, it has a neutral undertone that in my skin can look ashy in certain lighting, due to my warm undertones. But in case of depth is perfect.
I hope with this photo is easier to see how coverage works

That’s the reason of the love-hate relationship with it and I don’t know about repurchasing; is a good foundation and mixed with liquid highlighter or primer it looks even better. However I consider there are more foundations that would be a better match for me.
After you opening it you have two years to finish it, probably most people will finish it before it expires but I don’t use it every day and I have some others in rotation; so I like my products to lasts a good amount of time open. 

The good:
  • The natural finish which is a little radiant.
  • Lasting power and fades evenly.
  • Two years after you open it.
  • Packaging, doesn’t leak and you can control the amount of product.
The bad:
  • It isn’t a mattifying foundation.
Do I recommend it? Yes, if I had a better match I’d repurchase immediately. If your skin is normal to oily, I think you should take a look at it, but don’t forget it doesn’t reduce shine.
Price: 24 USD for 1 fl. oz./30 ml. Available at: Clinique’s counters, Clinique’s website, Sephora (online and in-store) and Ulta.

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, I am not to strict when it comes to expiration dates, so I would probably use it longer than the recommended two years if it took me so long to finish it.
    But on to the product: I had it on my to-try list, but if it doesn't control shine, I don't think it will live up to my expectations.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that at least you should try it on counter, I really like its natural finish and also take in mind my T zone is super oily and I don't wear a bulletproof sunscreen and primer to avoid dehydration.

      About expiration dates so if MAC Studio Fix says it expires in 6m after opened can I use it for more time? I don't finish foundation that fast.

      Delete